Archaeology as History in Early South Asia 1st Edition
by Himanshu Prabha Ray, Carla M. Sinopoli
Ships From New York
Free Shipping within U.S.A
Check Delivery Estimate and
for your country
|Publisher:||Aryan Books InternationalIndian Council of Historical Research
|Pages:||pp. xx + 512, Figures, 74 Illus. (Halftone), Tables, Maps, Index, References, Notes, Biblio.
The Title "Archaeology as History in Early South Asia 1st Edition" is written by Himanshu Prabha Ray. This book was published in the year 2004. The ISBN number 8173052700|9788173052705 is assigned to the Hardback version of this title. The book displayed here is a 1st Edition edition. This book has total of pp. xx + 512 (Pages). The publisher of this title is Indian Council of Historical Research. We have about 419 other great books from this publisher. Archaeology as History in Early South Asia 1st Edition is currently Available with us.
This volume fulfils a long-felt need in South Asian studies by initiating an inter-disciplinary dialogue between Archaeology and history. It challenges traditional assumptions derived from text-based archaeology dating to the Alexander Cunningham era and re-examines the role of archives, monumental Architecture and artefacts in the reconstruction of the past.
The first section draws attention to two emerging trends in the study of the past; one, the use of archival data for a study of the History of archaeology in South Asia, and two, the question of representation and public archaeology. The second section discusses scientific methods and techniques that have been significant in recent years in providing inputs to questions of chronology and sourcing of metal objects. Recent research stresses the identification of general patterns of human behaviour and their material consequences, which may be recognisable in the archaeological record, as discussed in the third section on Ethno-archaeology. The issue of multivocality of religious structures and negotiations between different groups is highlighted in the fourth section, while the final section discusses Gender Archaeology and indicates archaeological constructs in an analysis of the theme.
The volume thus endorses an active involvement between Archaeology and History. It is hoped that this will then lead to increased inputs in the study and practice of archaeology.
List of Illustrations
List of Contributors
1. Preamble/Himanshu Prabha Ray and Carla M. Sinopoli
I. HISTORY OF ARCHAEOLOGY - SOUTH ASIA :
2. The History of Archaeology in India : Introduction/Himanshu Prabha Ray
3. Documentation & Destruction : The Case of Amaravati (1797-1886)/Upinder Singh
4. Sanchi : Destruction, Restoration, Restitution/Nayanjot Lahiri
5. Bhagwanlal Indraji and the Beginnings of Indian Archaeology/Virchand K. Dharamsey
6. Unravelling the Picturesque : Understanding the Creation of a Past/Jaya Chattopadhyaya
7. Preservation of India's Archaeological Heritage Through Archaeologists-Public Interaction : Issues and Strategies/Kalini P. Khandwalla
II. METHODS, TECHNIQUES AND CHRONOLOGY :
8. Methods, Techniques and Chronology : Introduction/Carla M. Sinopoli
9. Origins of Plant Agriculture in South India/Ravi Korisettar
10. Archaeology and History of Bangladesh : Recent Perspectives/Jean-Francois Salles
11. Chronology and Metal Sources of South Indian Images : Some Insights and Scientific Analysis/Sharada Srinivasan
12. Beyond Vijayanagara's City Walls : Regional Survey and the Inhabitants of the Vijayanagara Metropolitan Region/Carla M. Sinopoli
III. ETHNOARCHAEOLOGY IN SOUTH ASIA :
13. Ethno-archaeology in South Asia : An Introduction and Review/Bradley A. Chase
14. Ethno-archaeology as History : The Case of Santhal Parganas/Ajay Pratap
15. Palm Leaf Manuscripts : An Ethno-historic Study/Panchanan Bhoi
IV. THE ARCHAEOLOGY OF SACRED SPACE :
16. The Archaeology of Sacred Space : Introduction/Himanshu Prabha Ray
17. Sacred Architecture, Sacred Landscape : Early Buddhism in North Coastal Andhra Pradesh/Lars Fogelin
18. Excavations at Ambaran 1999-2001 : Akhnur Terracotta and Discovery of Buddhist Reliquary in Exposed Stupa/B.R. Mani
19. The Archaeology of the Early Temples of Saurashtra/Susan Verma
20. An Archaeological Study of the Temple in the Eastern Deccan/Anita. R
V. GENDER AND ARCHAEOLOGY :
21. Gender and Archaeology : Introduction/Himanshu Prabha Ray
22. Problematizing the Archaeology of Female Figurines in North-West India/Deeksha Bhardwaj