In an underdeveloped country like India, the establishment of development projects seems to be indispensable to keep on its development process. Undoubtedly these projects have generated A Good number of advantages like providing irrigation facilities, increasing Agriculture output, power generation, increased availability of water for domestic and industrial uses, controlling floods, employment avenues, strengthening of infrastructure base, raising the level of export and finally increasing the level of income of the people as well as the country.
The unfortunate part of the story is that a number of problems like large scale displacement of local people, espesecially of tribal people, and submergence of vast tracts of arable land and forests, widespread water logging, soil erosion, environmental degradation, lack of proper rehabilitation and resettlement, loss of traditional skills and leadership in the tribal regions have emerged. Moreover despite all our concerted efforts and massive inputs, the fruits of development did not percolate to the poor tribal and downtrodden lot. The interest of the local people more especially the tribals could not be well protected. The existing legal provisions could not save the down-trodden displaced people from exploitation. In spite of some compensatory measures, backwardness, low income level, conservative outlook of the local people have compounded the problem of poverty and made most of them pauperized. In India tribals constitute the largest section of displaced people.
Therefore what is needed in the present Context is proper resettlement of oustees and all issues pertaining to displacement should be discussed with the local people.
Against this backdrop, this Anthology of 21 papers embodies critical analysis of various aspects of the subject and offers valuable suggestions for revamping the R&R schemes aiming the development projects more viable with a least displacement discomfort. The present volume contains in-depth and illuminating discussions addressing a wide ranging issues and areas relating to displacement problem of mega developments, R&R policy, S.E.Z., role of N.G.Os in lessening displacement problem etc.
1. Prof. S.N. Tripathy, Gokhale Institute of Economics and Politics, Pune (Mah)
2. Bibhudatta Achary, Lecturer in History, K.M. Science College, Narenderpur (GM)
3. Dr. Ramesh Charana Pandit, Reader in Economics, Aska Science College, Aska, Ganjam, Orissa
4. Prof. M. Sundara Rao, Professor, Dept. of Economics, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam
5. Dr. Sitansu Panda, Lecturer (HRM) in Siva Sivani Institute of Management, Secunderabad-14
6. Dr. Ganesh Sethi, Lecturer in Journalism & Mass Communication in RMIT, Berhampur-10
7. Sri P.K. Rath, UGC-Senior Research Fellow in the Department of Mass Communication, Berhampur University, Berhampur-7, Orissa
8. Dr. Prafulla Chandra Mohanty, Reader & Head, Deptt. of Commerce, Aska SC. College, Aska (Ganjam), Orissa, Pin-761111
9. Mr. Premananda Pradhan, Presently working as a Lecturer in Economics, Dept. of Economics, Aska Science College, Aska, Ganjam, Orissa-761111
10. Smt. Sushama Dash, Lecturer in Economics, Women's College, Rayagada-765001
11. Dr. Rajan Kumar Sahoo, Head, Department of Economics, U.N.S. Mahavidyalaya, Khairabad, Mugpal Jajpur, (Orissa), Pin-755009
12. Krishna Chandra Pradhan, Lect. in Economics, Khemundi College, Digapahandi, Ganjam, (Orissa)
13. Prakash Chandra Panigrahy, Lect. in Economics, Biju Pattnaik Women's College, Digapahandi, Ganjam, (Orissa)
14. Dr. C.R. Das, Research Supervisor, NKC Centre for Development Studies, Bhubaneswar, Orissa
15. Smt. Nendita Dash, Lecturer in tany
16. Dr. Brundaban Misra, Sr. Lecturer Dept. of History, Science College, Hinjilicut
17. Avaya Kesari Parichha Pattnaik, Lect. in Political Science, Aska Science College, Aska
18. R.C. Nayak, Lecturer in Economics, Aska Science College, Orissa
19. Dr. Upendra Pathy, Sr. Lect in Economics, Science College, Hinjilicut, Dist. Ganjam
20. Major Kumar Panda, Lecturer in Zoology, Udaya Pratap Science College, Sheragada, Ganjam, Orissa
21. Dr. Rabindra Nath Palo, Lecturer, Department of Economics, K.S.U.B. College, Bhanjanagar-761126, Orissa
22. Smt. Manjulata Kumari Patra, Lect. in Political Science, Aska Science College, Aska
23. Dr. Dasarathi Bhuyan, Lecturer in Political Science, Bellaguntha Science College, At/Po-Bellaguntha, Dist. Ganjam, Pin-761119
24. Dr. Santosh Kumar Pradhan, Working Lecturer in Economics, P.J. College of Management and Technology, Bhubaneswar, Pin-751002