|Binding Type:||Mixed media product
is written by Elaine N. Marieb. The publisher of this title is Longman Group.
Intended for use with any A&P textbook, this best-selling laboratory manual features a wide variety of exercises and activities designed to meet the needs of any 2-semester Anatomy & Physiology laboratory course. Known for its thorough, clearly-written exercises, full-color art, and tear-out review sheets, this lab manual gives students a hands-on laboratory experience. This lab manual is available in three versions: Cat, Main, and Pig.
This updated Laboratory Manual includes access to the new Practice Anatomy Lab™ 3.0 and new PhysioEx™ 9.0. It is also accompanied by MasteringA&P™, an online learning and assessment system proven to help students learn. In addition to providing instructors and students with access to PAL 3.0 and PhysioEx 9.0, MasteringA&P for Marieb’s HAP Lab Manual also features assignable pre-lab and post-lab quizzes for every lab exercise, art labeling activities, and assignable assessments for PAL 3.0 and PhysioEx 9.0.
This package contains:
• PhysioEx 9.0 DVD
• MasteringA&P Student Access Code Card for Human Anatomy & Physiology Laboratory Manual Fetal Pig
• Human Anatomy & Physiology Laboratory Manual Fetal Pig Version, Update, Tenth Edition
For Elaine N. Marieb, taking the student’s perspective into account has always been an integral part of her teaching style. Dr. Marieb began her teaching career at Springfield College, where she taught anatomy and physiology to physical education majors. She then joined the faculty of the Biological Science Division of Holyoke Community College after receiving her Ph.D. in zoology from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
While teaching at Holyoke Community College, where many of her students were pursuing nursing degrees, she developed a desire to better understand the relationship between the scientific study of the human body and the clinical aspects of the nursing practice. To that end, while continuing to teach full time, Dr. Marieb pursued her nursing education, which culminated in a Master of Science degree with a clinical specialization in gerontology from the University of Massachusetts. It is this experience, along with stories from the field—including those of former students, now in health careers—that has informed the development of the unique perspective and accessibility for which her texts and laboratory manuals are known.
In her ongoing commitment to students and her realization of the challenges they face, Dr. Marieb has given generously to provide opportunities for students to further their education. She contributes to the New Directions, New Careers Program at Holyoke Community College by providing several full-tuition scholarships each year for women returning to college after a hiatus or who are attending college for the first time and would otherwise be unable to continue with their studies without financial support. She funds the E. N. Marieb Science Research Awards at Mount Holyoke College, which promotes research by undergraduate science majors, and generously contributed to the University of Massachusetts at Amherst where she provided funding for reconstruction and instrumentation of a cutting-edge cytology research laboratory that bears her name.
In 1994, Dr. Marieb received the Benefactor Award from the National Council for Resource Development, American Association of Community Colleges, which recognizes her ongoing sponsorship of student scholarships, faculty teaching awards, and other academic contributions to Holyoke Community College. In May 2000, the science building at Holyoke Community College was named in her honor.
Additionally, while actively engaged as an author, Dr. Marieb serves as a consultant for the Benjamin Cummings Interactive Physiology® CD-ROM series, and is an active member of the Human Anatomy and Physiology Society (HAPS), the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), and Sigma Xi.
Susan J. Mitchell earned her Ph.D. in physiology from the University of Michigan. She studied the cellular basis of behavior before joining the faculty at Onondaga Community College where she is currently a professor in the Department of Biological Sciences. Her research in neurophysiology and training in physiology positioned her to write the original Nervous, Endocrine, and Digestive System modules in the Interactive Physiology 10-System Suite tutorial program. She has been honored with a NISOD Excellence Award for teaching, and been awarded several grants to develop technological resources for biology at OCC. Dr. Mitchell is a member of the American Physiological Society, National Association of Biology Teachers, National Science Teachers Association, and the Human Anatomy and Physiological Society (HAPS), where she is currently active on the Curriculum and Instruction Committee.
Getting Started–What to Expect, The Scientific Method, and Metrics
The Human Body: An Orientation
Exercise 1. The Language of Anatomy
Exercise 2. Organ Systems Overview
The Microscope and Its Uses
Exercise 3. The Microscope
Exercise 4. The Cell–Anatomy and Division
Exercise 5. The Cell–Transport Mechanisms and Cell Permeability
Histology: Basic Tissues of the Body
Exercise 6. Classification of Tissues
The Integumentary System and Body Membranes
Exercise 7. The Integumentary System
Exercise 8. Classification of Covering and Lining Membranes
The Skeletal System
Exercise 9. Overview of the Skeleton: Classification and Structure of Bones and Cartilages
Exercise 10. The Axial Skeleton
Exercise 11. The Appendicular Skeleton
Exercise 12. The Fetal Skeleton
Exercise 13. Articulations and Body Movements
The Muscular System
Exercise 14. Microscopic Anatomy and Organization of Skeletal Muscle
Exercise 15. Gross Anatomy of the Muscular System
Exercise 16. Skeletal Muscle Physiology - Frog and Human Subjects
The Nervous System
Exercise 17. Histology of Nervous Tissue
Exercise 18. Neurophysiology of Nerve Impulses
Exercise 19. Gross Anatomy of the Brain and Cranial Nerves
Exercise 20. Electroencephalography
Exercise 21. Spinal Cord, Spinal Nerves, and the Autonomic Nervous System
Exercise 22. Human Reflex Physiology
Exercise 23. General Sensation
Exercise 24. Special Senses: Vision
Exercise 25. Special Senses: Hearing and Equilibrium
Exercise 26. Special Senses: Olfaction and Taste
The Endocrine System
Exercise 27. Functional Anatomy of the Endocrine Glands
Exercise 28. Role of Thyroid Hormone, Pituitary Hormone, Insulin, and Epinephrine
The Circulatory System
Exercise 29. Blood
Exercise 30. Anatomy of the Heart
Exercise 31. Conduction System of the Heart and Electrocardiography
Exercise 32. Anatomy of the Blood Vessels
Exercise 33. Human Cardiovascular Physiology–Blood Pressure and Pulse Determinations
Exercise 34. Frog Cardiovascular Physiology
Exercise 35. The Lymphatic System and Immune Response
The Respiratory System
Exercise 36. Anatomy of the Respiratory System
Exercise 37. Respiratory System Physiology
The Digestive System
Exercise 38. Anatomy of the Digestive System
Exercise 39. Chemical and Physical Processes of Digestion
The Urinary System
Exercise 40. Anatomy of the Urinary System
Exercise 41. Urinalysis
The Reproductive System, Development, and Heredity
Exercise 42. Anatomy of the Reproductive System
Exercise 43. Physiology of Reproduction: Gametogenesis and the Female Cycles
Exercise 44. Survey of Embryonic Development
Exercise 45. Principles of Heredity
Exercise 46. Surface Anatomy Roundup
1. Dissection and Identification of Fetal Pig Muscles
2. Dissection of The Spinal Cord and Spinal Nerves of the Fetal Pig
3. Identification of Selected Endocrine Organs of the Fetal Pig
4. Dissection of the Blood Vessels and Main Lymphatic Ducts of the Fetal Pig
5. Dissection of the Respiratory System of the Fetal Pig
6. Dissection of the Digestive System of the Fetal Pig
7. Dissection of the Urinary System of the Fetal Pig
8. Dissection of the Reproductive System of the Fetal Pig
PhysioEx™ 9.0 Computer Simulations
Exercise 1. Cell Transport Mechanisms and Permeability
Exercise 2. Skeletal Muscle Physiology
Exercise 3. Neurophysiology of Nerve Impulses
Exercise 4. Endocrine System Physiology
Exercise 5. Cardiovascular Dynamics
Exercise 6. Cardiovascular Physiology
Exercise 7. Respiratory System Mechanics
Exercise 8. Chemical and Physical Processes of Digestion
Exercise 9. Renal System Physiology
Exercise 10. Acid-Base Balance
Exercise 11. Blood Analysis
Exercise 12: Serological Testing
Appendix. The Metric System
• A wide variety of laboratory exercises and activities meets the needs of virtually every 2- semester anatomy & physiology laboratory course. The varied activities include organ and body dissection activities for the cat, sheep, and cow, giving students a “hands-on” lab experience.
• Beautiful, full-color art and photos help students visualize anatomical structures and physiological concepts for laboratory practice.
• Thorough, clearly-written exercises assist students in comprehending and retaining the material. They include background information, a list of objectives, step-by-step instructions, and exercise review sheets. Integrated to follow each lab exercise, the review sheets can be used for pre- or post-lab review.
• Easy-to-recognize icons alert students to dissection activities, safety precautions, homeostatic imbalance sections, exercises that use BIOPAC® equipment and corresponding PhysioEx™ Exercises.
• BIOPAC procedures are included for eight exercises. Procedures for Intelitool®, PowerLab®, and iWorx® are available in the Instructor Resource section of MasteringA&P ™.
• Perforated pages make it convenient for students to tear out the Review Sheets.
• Brand-new pre-lab quizzes at the beginning of each Exercise motivate students to prepare for lab by asking them basic information they should know before doing the lab.
• A new art program uses rich, vibrant colors, 3D realistic rendering, and brand-new cadaver photos from Marieb/Hoehn’s Human Anatomy & Physiology, Eighth Edition.
• An expanded number of histology images are now included. New and improved histology images have been added. Images from the Histology Atlas have been integrated into the lab exercises so that students can review relevant histology images all in one place.
• All-new surface anatomy photos show superb muscle definition and clear surface landmarks for skeletal, muscular, and vascular structures.
• Brand new RAT version of the Human Anatomy & Physiology Laboratory Manual features seven Rat dissection exercises with dissection photos, activities, and review sheets.
• Electronic Test Bank of pre-lab and post-lab quizzes for Marieb’s HAP Lab Manual allows the instructor to assign these Lab Exercise-related quizzes for a grade or extra-credit. The test item file can be imported into BlackBoard, CourseCompass™, and other course management systems.
• NEW! Practice Anatomy Lab™ (PAL™) 3.0 is an indispensable virtual anatomy study and practice tool that gives students 24/7 access to the most widely used lab specimens including human cadaver, anatomical models, histology, cat, and fetal pig. PAL 3.0 features a whole new interactive cadaver that allows students to peel back layers of the human cadaver and view and explore hundreds of brand new dissection photographs specially commissioned for version 3.0. It also features a new interactive histology module that allows the students to view the same tissue slide at varying magnifications, thereby helping the student identify structures and their characteristics. Students get more opportunity to practice via the new question randomization feature (each time the student retakes a practice quiz or lab practical a new set of questions is generated). PAL 3.0 retains all of the key advantages of 2.0 including the simplicity and ease-of-use and simulated fill-in-the-blank lab practicals. PAL 3.0 is delivered in the Study Area of MasteringA&P™ and the PAL 3.0 Testbank is fully assignable through MasteringA&P. The PAL 3.0 CD-ROM is also available and can be packaged with the lab manual at no additional cost or purchased separately.
• NEW! PhysioEx™ 9.0: Laboratory Simulations in Physiology is easy-to-use laboratory simulation software that consists of 12 exercises containing 66 physiology lab activities that can be used to supplement or substitute for wet labs. PhysioEx allows students to repeat labs as often as they like, perform experiments without harming live animals, and conduct experiments that are difficult to perform in a wet lab environment because of time, cost, or safety concerns. The PhysioEx 9.0 software features a brand new screen layout with step-by-step instructions and assessment so that everything students need to do and complete their lab is located in one convenient place. New Pre-lab and Post-lab Quizzes for each activity and Stop & Think and Predict Questions within the steps of each experiment help students make the connection between the activities and the physiological concepts they demonstrate. Student answers to all these questions and the results from the experiments can be saved in a PDF Lab Report. The PhysioEx 9.0 CD-ROM comes with the lab manual and is also delivered in the Study Area of MasteringA&P. PhysioEx 9.0 assessments, including pre-lab quizzes and post-lab quizzes, are assignable through MasteringA&P.
• NEW! MasteringA&P for Marieb HAP Lab Manual is an online learning and assessment system proven to help students learn. It helps instructors maximize lab time with customizable, easy-to-assign, automatically graded assessments that motivate students to learn outside of class and arrive prepared for lab. The powerful gradebook provides unique insight into student and class performance, even before the first lab exam. As a result, instructors can spend valuable lab time where students need it most. The Mastering system empowers students to take charge of their learning through activities aimed at different learning styles and engages them in learning A&P through practice and step-by-step guidance–at their convenience, 24/7. MasteringA&P for Marieb HAP Lab Manual features assignable pre-lab and post-lab quizzes for every lab exercise, art-labeling activities, and assignable assessments for PAL 3.0 and PhysioEx™ 9.0.