|Publisher:||Rupa & Co.
|Pages:||pp. [viii] + 238, Figures (Col.), Index, Glossary
8129102005|9788129102003, Indian Art An Overview published in the year 2003 was published by Rupa & Co.. View 3268 more books by Rupa & Co.. The author of this book is Gayatri Sinha. This is the Hardback version of the title "Indian Art An Overview" and have around pp. [viii] + 238 pages. Indian Art An Overview is currently Not Available with us. You can enquire about this book and we will let you know the availability.
Indian Art : An Overview is a seminal study on Indian art-through modernism into post-modernism. Through fifteen essays, leading tendencies in Indian art are traced from the period of the 1850s onwards. Leading critics and art historians analyse the contributions of Kalighat painting, the Bengal School, Santiniketan and the Madras aesthetic. Through essays on the influence of Raja Ravi Varma, Amrita Sher Gil and the Progressive Artists' Group, the volo|ne00nies up to date with Indian art in the contemporary period. The volume also provides substantial essays on the History of print-making and sculpture in India, and contains some thematic essays that analyse trends in a contemporary social context.
1. Introduction/Gayatri Sinha
2. Kalighat Painting : Other Perspectives/Jyotindra Jain
3. The Marketing Strategies of a Modern Indian Artist-Raja Ravi Varma/A. Ramachandran
4. Talent, Tragedy and the Myth of Amrita Sher-Gil/Rupika Chawla
5. The Bengal School/Santo Datta
6. Santiniketan : A Community of Artists and Ideas/R. Sivakumar
7. Impulses of the 1904s/Sanjoy Mallik :
i. Jamini Roy
ii. The Young Turks.
iii. The Calcutta Group
iv. Delhi Calcutta Chakra:
8. The Progressive Artists’ Group/Chaitanya Sambrani
9. Indigenism : An Inquiry into the Quest for "Indianness" in Contemporary Indian Art/Shivaji Panikkar
10. The 1970s - Simultaneous Streams/Gayatri Sinha
11. The Madras School - Modes of Abstraction/A.S. Raman
12. The History of Printmaking in India/Shivaji Panikkar and Jyoti Bhatt
13. Modern Indian Sculpture/Ratan Parimoo
14. Subverting the Icon/Geeti Sen
15. Indian Art : Influences and Impulses of the 1980s and 1990s/Ranjit Hoskote
16. Installation Art in India/Roobina Karode
Gayatri Sinha (born 1957) is a student of English Literature, Calcutta University, with post-graduate studies in Social Communications Media, Bombay. She has written extensively on the arts and is currently art critic with The Hindu, New Delhi. She has edited the volume, Expressions and Evocations-Contemporary Indian Women Artists published by Marg, 1997. This publication was supported by the seminal exhibition for Gallery Espace of Indian women artists, The Self and the World at the National Gallery of Modern Art 1997. On a Ford Foundation grant she curated the exhibition Woman/Goddess that travelled in India and abroad, 1999-2001. In 2001, she wrote monographs on the drawings of Satish Gujral, and the art of Gulammohammed Sheikh. Her monograph on Krishen Khanna, supported by a senior fellowship from the Department of Culture, Government of India, was published by Vadehra Art Gallery in 2002.