Indian Art An Overview
by Gayatri Sinha, Rashmi Kaleka, RARA Designs
|Publisher:||Rupa & Co.
|Pages:||pp. [viii] + 238, Figures (Col.), Index, Glossary
The Title "Indian Art An Overview" is written by Gayatri Sinha. This book was published in the year 2003. The ISBN number 8129102005|9788129102003 is assigned to the Hardback version of this title. This book has total of pp. [viii] + 238 (Pages). The publisher of this title is Rupa & Co.. We have about 3268 other great books from this publisher. Indian Art An Overview is currently Not Available with us.You can enquire about this book and we will let you know the availability.
Indian Art : An Overview is a seminal study on Indian art-through modernism into post-modernism. Through fifteen essays, leading tendencies in Indian art are traced from the period of the 1850s onwards. Leading critics and art historians analyse the contributions of Kalighat painting, the Bengal School, Santiniketan and the Madras aesthetic. Through essays on the influence of Raja Ravi Varma, Amrita Sher Gil and the Progressive Artists' Group, the volo|ne00nies up to date with Indian art in the contemporary period. The volume also provides substantial essays on the History of print-making and sculpture in India, and contains some thematic essays that analyse trends in a contemporary social context.
1. Introduction/Gayatri Sinha
2. Kalighat Painting : Other Perspectives/Jyotindra Jain
3. The Marketing Strategies of a Modern Indian Artist-Raja Ravi Varma/A. Ramachandran
4. Talent, Tragedy and the Myth of Amrita Sher-Gil/Rupika Chawla
5. The Bengal School/Santo Datta
6. Santiniketan : A Community of Artists and Ideas/R. Sivakumar
7. Impulses of the 1904s/Sanjoy Mallik :
i. Jamini Roy
ii. The Young Turks.
iii. The Calcutta Group
iv. Delhi Calcutta Chakra:
8. The Progressive Artists’ Group/Chaitanya Sambrani
9. Indigenism : An Inquiry into the Quest for "Indianness" in Contemporary Indian Art/Shivaji Panikkar
10. The 1970s - Simultaneous Streams/Gayatri Sinha
11. The Madras School - Modes of Abstraction/A.S. Raman
12. The History of Printmaking in India/Shivaji Panikkar and Jyoti Bhatt
13. Modern Indian Sculpture/Ratan Parimoo
14. Subverting the Icon/Geeti Sen
15. Indian Art : Influences and Impulses of the 1980s and 1990s/Ranjit Hoskote
16. Installation Art in India/Roobina Karode