Crop improvement using classical induced mutagenesis is now well standardized. A large number of new promising varieties in different crops have successfully been developed world wide using both physical and chemical mutagens. Voluminous literature are now available on basic and applied aspects of mutagenesis. Mutation technique has been refined and holds promise of generating a much wider desirable variability than classical breeding. Recent advances in technology combined with classical mutation Breeding offers new and exciting challenges for development of new varieties. There was necessary to compile worldwide activities on induced mutagenesis for crop improvement. The Book covers both basic and applied aspects of mutation and its impact on different crops like vegetables, pulse, medicinal, edible and non-edible oil, ornamentals etc. in different countries.
The book is extremely well prepared and contains huge volume of informations accumulated using classical induced mutagenesis on different crops in different countries. The will serve as an extremely comprehensive guide to the researchers, teachers, students and individuals who are interested to use induced mutagenesis as a tool for crop improvement.
1. Use of Induced Mutations for Crop Improvement : Revisited/H. Yamaguchi
2. Mutation Breeding for Crop Improvement : A Review/M.A. Awan
3. Mutation Breeding in Nigella Sativa L. (Black Cumin)/A.K. Biswas
4. Improvement of a Value Added Medicinal Herb "Trigonella foenum graceum L.": Need and Approach/S.K. Datta & V.L. Goel
5. Role of Experimental Mutagenesis for Genetic Improvement of Peas and Soybean/A. Mehandijev
6. Cowpea Mutation Breeding for Resistance to Bacterial Leaf Blight Disease (Xanthomonas vignicola Burk.)/Sanit Luadthong
7. Mutation Breeding : A Novel Technique for Quality Improvement of Winged Bean [Psophocarpus Tetragonolobus (L.) DC.]/R.D. Dadke & V.S. Kothekar
8. Quantitative and Qualitative Improvement in Brassica Oil Crops through Induced Mutation Technique in Bangladesh/M.L. Das & A. Rahman
9. Effects of Gamma Radiation on Jatropha Curcas : A Promosing Crop for New Source of Fuel/S.K. Datta & R.K. Pandey
10. Role of Mutation Induction for Wheat (T. aestivum L.) Improvement/Wange Lin-quing & LI Gui-ying
11. Selection Studies on Mutant Barley Populations/M.B. Yildrim, N. Budak, Z. Yildrim & T. Kusaksiz
12. Linkage Mapping Using Mutant Genes in Rice/T. Kinoshita
13. Classical Mutation Breeding and Molecular Methods for Genetic Improvement of Ornamentals/S.K. Datta & Debasis Chakrabarty
14. Combination of Classical and Modern Methods for the Development of New Ornamental Varieties/A.K.A. Mandal & S.K. Datta