Scientific Bases of Hindu Beliefs
by Bhojraj Dwivedi
Sanatan Hindu Dharma is like a huge tree. Different kinds of assumptions have, merged into it from time immemorial. As human population grew and time changed, beliefs and faiths changed as a result of continuous thinking of scholars and growing maturity in their ideas. As a consequence,' the branches and sub-branches of Hindu Religion also grew. Is there any scientific basis of beliefs and faiths propogated in Hinduism? This question agitates the minds of intellectual readers again and again. Now, that time has come to an end, when you cited from the religious scriptures and said, "Baba vakya promanom" (here is the statement from The Author as evidence). Comprehensive thinking about religious beliefs has become the most essential call of the age today.
First of all, the average reader has to understand what is science. The word 'vigyari (science) is formed by prefixing 'ul to 'gyan (knowledge). 'Vishishta gyanam iti uigyanarri, 'Vishesh gyanam iti vigyanam', Vishuddha gyanam iti vigyanarrt (Specific knowledge is science, Special knowledge is science, Pure knowledge is science), these definitions are clear in themselves. Science, in fact, is based upon cause and effect relationship. 'Karya karan sambandh iti vigyanam', 'punah punah parikshanam prayoganch kritarri (Science is cause and effect relationship. Experiment is made again and again). Where we come to know the cause and effect relationship, then that knowledge automatically passes into the category of science. True knowledge of an object, based on facts, is a part of Science itself. 'Punah punah nirikshit gyanam. iti vigyanam,' When the results are the same on repeated observations, then those facts become science. Ancient Rishis-Munis (seers and saints) formed some rules and principles under the cover of religion to civilize humanity. They offered the charms of heaven and fears of hell, so that, men adopted them in their conduct. Today, in the age of computer, no one accepts heaven or hell, piety or sin, religion or irreligion. It is a transition period. Innumerable questions are cropping up in the minds of the intellectuals. To clarify the scientific basis of Hindu beliefs has become a need of the day.
Shri Nareridra Verma (M.D.) of Diamond Pocket Books has taken a courageous step in this direction. This attempt of his will be written in golden letters. He entrusted me with the responsibility of clarifying the scientific view of the religious beliefs and rituals prevalent in society. I happily accepted this formidable and highly challenging assignment. Only the discerning reader will be able to say as up to what extent I have succeeded in this attempt. It is not possible to come out with solutions to all kinds of questions, doubts etc. in one attempt. I will wait for the appreciation of the thoughtful persons, guidance from scholars and correspondence from intelligent readers. Besides, I will always be ready for resolving your all kinds of reasonable questions.
Internationally acclaimed Voostu-shostri and Jyotishacharya Dr. Bhojraj Dwivedi is a rare signature of invincible time. More than 258 books on Astrology, Vaastu-Shastra, Cheiromancy, Numerology, Figure Science, Yantra-Tantra-Mantra Science, Karmakand and priesthood written by Dr. Bhojraj Dwivedi, the founder of the International Vaastu Association, are read in many languages in India and abroad. He came out with more than 3000 forecasts through Agyat-Darshan (a fortnightly magazine) and Shri Chand Martand (an annual magazine) on matters of national and international significance, which proved true at appropriate time.
Born on 4th September, 1949, Dr, Bhojraj Dwivedi has been regularly publishing Agyat-Darshan and Shri Chand Martand for the last 27 years, starting from 1977. Dr. Dwivedi has been honoured with many gold medals, innumerable Honoris Causa degrees, at various civic receptions, nationl and international conferences. The work that Dr. Dwivedi is doing for the progress and recognition of Indian Oriental studies with a sense of dedication is not the work of an ordinary person. He is a blazing sun in the field of Tantra-Monto, Vaastu-Shastra and Astrology in 21st century and will be remembered as 'Yug Purush'- a man of an era.
1. The Cheiromancy Section : Dr. Dwivedi published two books in 1981, Angushta Se Bhavishya Gyan and Paanv Tale Bhavishya, which created a stir in this field. In 1992 Jyotish Aur Akriti, and in 1996 Hastrekhaon ka Gahan Addhyayan were published in two parts. A book, titled as Hastrekhaon Ka Rahasyamaya Sansar is among the topmost and the best books written by any Indian scholar. This book left the foreign scholars as Geremin, Cheiro, and Benham miles behind. Dr. Dwivedi is the first person in India, who has accomplished the wonder of bringing lines on the palm, on to the computer screen.
2. The Astrology Section : In this section there are many computers which generate horoscopes based both on calculations and an applied result basis. Horoscopes, annual results and happenings, marriage, questions and answer books, based on the data of place, time and date of birth are prepared using the most subtle formulae of calculations. Dr. Dwivedi has published more than 3000 predictions, based on these calculations, which turned out to be true. This is a creditable record which has not been surpassed by anyone so far. Dr. Dwivedi is developing a rare software "Srishif on the Vedic Astrology.
3. The Vaastu Section : We have founded the International Vaastu Association. The experts of Vaastu in our centre remove mistakes and shortcomings related to Vaastu in a proper and systematic manner.
4. The Amulets Section : Different kinds of amulets are prepared on auspicious days, time and signs of zodiac under the supervision of well trained Brahmins. After the amulets are made, they are subjected to charming and divination before their dispatch.
5. The Precious Stones Section : On requests and insistence of various curious gentlemen, we have arranged to procure and sell different stones matching signs of zodiac. Rings and lockets, unlocking good fortunes, are made in a proper and systematic manner.
6. Various Religious Ceremonies : Our institution has established an enlightened "Shree Peeth" for performing Yajna as in 108 sacred yajna-Kunds and in pursuance of 10 secret super studies.
7. The Publication Section : All the research work carried out by the scholars in office is regularly published. This section publishes books also on Astrology, Ayurveda, Vaastu-shostra Cheiromancy, and ancient Indian mystical studies. Dr. Dwivedi has written about 300 books to date. Agyat-Darshan starting from 1977 and Chand Martond Panchang and Calendar starting from 1987 are being published regularly. We receive many letters daily in our office. These letters seek guidance on various matters from Dr. Dwivedi. The enlightened readers are requested to give their full address and enclose a self-addressed, adequately stamped envelope to get a prompt reply.
8. Shree Vidya Sadhak Parivar : Many phone calls and letters from curious persons, girls and students interested in sammohan (hypnotism) and Yantra-Mantra-Tantra studies, are addressed to Dr. Dwivedi, seeking guidance, training and participation in mantra camps. Such curious devotees should first enroll themselves as members of 'Shree Vidya Sadhak Parivar.' Only after this, the devotees can think of coming close to Dr. Dwivedi and interacting with him.
9. The International Vaastu Association : Dr. Dwivedi and his associates formed the International Vaastu Association on 14th December, 1996 and got it formally registered on 7th December, 1999. The main objectives of this institution include providing correct and authentic information to curious Indians settled world wide migrated abroad and training them through correspondence courses, and and honing the competent students and scholars by awarding them certificates, testimonials, letters of appreciation and mementos. The main objectives are listed below :
(1). To establish goodwill, brotherhood, friendship, and communal harmony among all religions of the world.
(2). To assist, serve and guide all human beings, irrespective of their caste or religion.
(3). To bring various Indian communities and religions on one common platform, and to inculcate national unity among people of different communities and religions.
(4). To focus on the scientific aspect of astrology, Mantra-Tantra studies and impart instructions and training in these disciplines to re-establish ancient Indian disciplines and organise conventions and conferences for them.
(5). To install statues and pictures of ideal and great persons of all religions and communities; to extend and publicise the significance of yajnas and establish anna-kshetra (areas of free food distribution).
(6). To collect and preserve ancient manuscripts, and publish the less known and rare works on Astrology, Mantra-Tantra-Yantra and spiritual disciplines.
(7). To spread awareness against blind faiths distorting Mantra-Tantra discipline; and to publicise correct information about Astrology and Tantra-Mantra among people in general.
(8). To organise conferences, series of lectures, and exhibitions from time to time in the country and abroad with a view to bringing about awareness regarding Astrology, Mantra discipline and yajnas.
(9). To safeguard the interests of scholars engaged in the extension of knowledge of Astrology and Mantra-Tantra -Yantra science; to honour authentic researchers and scholars.
(10). To perform all other activities in the common interest of men, animals, orphans, helpless people, widows, the poor and the destitute without any sex, caste or religion-based discrimination.
The Law is Vigyan, or Science?
2. What is the Definition of Vigyan?
3. What is the Modern Definition of Vigyan?
4. Is Astrology Science or Art?
5. What is Eclipse?
6. Where do we get the Earliest Mention of 'Eclipse'?
7. Do we Find a Mention of Eclipse in the Mahabharata Period?
8. Do Muslims Also Believe in Eclipse?
9. Do we Find References to Eclipse During the Ramayana Period?
10. Where do we Find the First Description of Solar Eclipse?
11. What are the Main Solar Eclipses on which the Scientists have Carried out Research?
12. Suppose I see Full Solar Eclipse Today in my Village or City, when will a Complete Solar Eclipse be Seen on the Same Spot in Future?
13. What is the 'Saros Chakra' or Saros Cycle?
14. What is a Lunar Eclipse?
15. What is a Solar Eclipse?
16. When does the Lunar Eclipse Take Place?
17. What is a Full Lunar Eclipse?
18. What is a Partial Lunar Eclipse?
19. On the Day of Purnima in the Horoscope, what/Where will be the Position of The Sun and the Moon?
20. How does Lunar Eclipse Take Place?
21. What is 'Moksha' (Salvation) Called in the Language of the Eclipse?
22. How Many Times can a Lunar Eclipse Take Place in One Year?
23. When does a Solar Eclipse Happen?
24. How Many Times can a Solar Eclipse Happen in a Year?
25. How is the Solar Eclipse Formed, and on Which Amauosya?
26. Where will the Total Solar Eclipse Take Place?
27. What can be the Maximum Duration of an All Eclipsing Solar Eclipse?
28. How does a Partial Eclipse Take Place?
29. From which Part of the Earth can a Solar Eclipse be Seen?
30. Can we See the Solar Eclipse on the Whole Earth at Once?
31. What Research should be Conducted in Case of Total Solar Eclipse?
32. How are Rahu and Ketu Responsible for Solar and Lunar Eclipses?
33. Do we Find a Mention of Rahu and Ketu in the Vedos?
34. Why were Rahu and Ketu Not Assigned a Place among Signs of Zodiac Earlier?
35. If Rahu and Ketu are Planets, then Why are they Not Visible in the Sky Like other Planets?
36. Being Planets, do Rahu and Ketu have any Astronomical Form?
37. What is the Kal-sarpayoga Formed of Rahu and Ketu?
38. In Hindu Religion it is Believed that One should Not Eat During Eclipse Time. What are its Scientific and Religious Bases?
39. If Someone's Ancestor's Death Anniversary Falls on the Day of Eclipse, then what are the Arrangements for Taking Food?
40. What are the Religious and Scientific Bases of Taking a Bath after the Eclipse?
41. Why should we give Alms or Charity During Eclipse Time?
42. Why are People in Hindu Religion Advised Not to See the Solar or Lunar Eclipse?
43. Should we See the Setting Sun or the Moon?
44. What is the Scientific Reason Supporting Seeing the Rising Sun?
45. How can the Bad Effect Caused by Solar and Lunar Eclipses be Removed?
46. Why is the Cow's Milk Considered Pious?
47. Why is the Cow's Urine Pious?
48. What is the Scientific Reason Behind the Peeped's Piety?
49. What is Drishta (Seen)?
50. What is Adrishta (Unseen)?
51. Kindly Cite the Example of a Scripture Dealing with Drishta and Adrishta?
52. What is 'Sadi?
53. What is 'Anodi?
54. What is 'Sant?
55. What is 'Anant?
56. How Many Kinds of Evidences There?
57. What is Guess Evidence?
58. What is Direct or Real Evidence?
59. What is Aapta Vakya (Word) Evidence?
60. Which is the Most Prominent of all Evidences? Kindly Explain through an Example
61. What are the Advantages of Rising in Brahma-muhurta (Early in the Morning, Say 4.00 A.M.)?
62. Kindly Explain its Scientific Aspect
63. Why should One See his Palms in the Morning?
64. Whom should we See as we Rise in the Morning?
65. What should One Not See in the Morning?
66. What are its Scientific Bases?
67. Why should One Keep Quiet During Urination or Visit to a Toilet?
68. Why should we Not Urinate or Discharge Stool on the Road?
69. Why should we Use Paper, Soap, Soil or Water for Cleaning after Stool Discharge? Present a Scientific View
70. Which Datun Should be Used?
71. Which Datun is Better, Toothpaste or Vegetational?
72. Why Oil Massage?
73. Why an Oil Massage, and Not a Ghee Massage?
74. Which Oil should be Used?
75. Besides Religious Scriptres, what is the Scientific Basis of Oil Massage?
76. When Oil Massage is a Part of Daily Routine, why is it Prohibited en Sundays and Tuesdays?
77. Kindly Clarify its Scientific Aspect
78. How can One Die Due to Oil Massage on Tuesday? What are its Scientific Bases?
79. How can Massage be the Cause of Pain on Friday?
80. Is there a Way Out of these Prohibitions?
81. What is the Scientific Basis of the above View?
82. What is the Real Meaning of Tel (Oil)?
83. Why should we Bathe Daily?
84. Why should we Not Eat before Bath?
85. Kindly Tell Us its Scientific Reason
86. What is the Scientific Reason of Religious Activities?
87. Is there a System in which Food can be Taken if A Man Feels Hungry before Bath?
88. Why do Hindus Turn to East During Pooja-path, or when they Perform Religious Activities?
89. Kindly Focus on its Scientific Aspect
90. Why do Hindus Turn Southwards While Performing 'Pitra-karmd (Offerings to the Dead)?
91. Why is the Afternoon Accepted as the Best Time for Offering Shraddha Food?
92. What is the Scientific Secret of Wearing Tilak (Mark) on Forehead?
93. Why the Tilak of Kumkum (Vermilion)?
94. Is it Just a Ritual, or Does it have a Scientific Aspect to it?
95. What is the Scientific Basis of Maintaining a 'Shikhd (a Tuft of Hair on Head)?
96. Why the Seat of Kush (Grass)?
97. Why is a Kusha-ring (Paurtri) Worn during Religious Anushthans (Ceremonies)?
98. Kindly Clear the Scientific Aspect of Wearing Kusha in Hands
99. How is Death at will Possible through Pranayam (Deep Breathing)?
100. What are the Main Parts of Pranayam?
101. What is Purak?
102. What is Kumbhak?
103. What is Rechak?
104. How Many Varieties does Pranayam have in Total?
105. Please Tell us their Names
106. What is the Scientific Basis of Aachaman?
107. Why is Aachaman Taken Thrice?
108. Why Arghya (Water Offering) to the Sun?
109. Why Suryopasthan?
110. What is a Mala?
111. What is the Scientific Aspect of the Mala?
112. Why is Maky'apa Performed through the Middle Finger?
113. Why are there 108 Beads in the Mala?
114. What is the Scientific Secret Behind it?
115. Why can Not We Take Food with Shoes on?
116. Why should we Walk after Taking Food?
117. Why should Not we have Our Feet Southwards when we Sleep?
118. How can the Planets Arrive, if Invoked?
119. Kindly Elucidate the Scientific Aspect of Invoking Planets
120. Can you give an Example of this Logic?
121. Are Brahmins (Pandits) the Agents of Planets?
122. Why are Til and Jau (Sesame and Barley) Used for Havan Fire?
123. Kindly Elucidate the Scientific Aspect of the Yajna
124. In Fire an Object is Multiplied a Lakh Times. Kindly, give a Direct Example, if there is Any?
125. What is Rajodarshan (Menstruation)?
126. What is Rajaswala?
127. Why is a Rajaswala Untouchable?
128. Kindly give Some Concrete Instance of Infection
129. What Rules and Regulations are Prescribed for a Rayaswala Woman in Religious Scriptures?
130. What Happens if she Sleeps During Day Time?
131. What Happens if she Pencils her Eyes?
132. What Happens if she Weeps?
133. What Happens if she Baths?
134. What Happens Due to Oil Massage?
135. What Happens Due to Running?
136. What Happens Due to Laughing?
137. What Happens if she Talks too Much?
138. What Happens if she Hears Terrible Words?
139. Who is a Ritusnata?
140. What Should a Ritusnata do, and why?
141. Should a New Born Infant be Fed on Mother's Milk or Tinned Milk?
142. Why can we Not give Milk of a Wet Nurse to Children?
143. Why Should we Wear on our Ears Joneu (Sacred Thread) During Stool or Urine Discharge?
144. Why should the Joneu be on Right Ear During Urine Discharge?
145. Elaborate, if there is a Scientific Reason for this?
146. Why are Both the Ears Covered During Stool Discharge?
147. Why is Raksha-sutra Tied to the Bride and Groom?
148. Why is Cow-dung Used for Smearing?
149. Which Other Elements in Cow-dung have Been Acknowledged by Science?
150. Why is Cow-dung Necessary?
151. Can we Take a Bath of Cow-dung?
152. Is Cow-dung Useful in Cleansing the Environment?
153. Are Cow-dung Cakes Also Useful?
154. Why is Kusha (Grass) Spread?
155. Why the Head in the North Direction?
156. Why should a Dead Body be Burnt, Necessarily?
157. Why a Bath with Clothes on?
158. Why are Ashes Immersed in the Ganges?
159. Why are Marriages Banned in the Same Gotra?
160. Why a Tulsi Plant in the Courtyard of the House?
161. Why is a Dangerous Disease Smallpox Called Sheetala Mata? what Science is there in it?
162. Why the Use of Bosi (Thanda) Food?
163. Lord Shri Ram was an Incarnation of Twelve Katas, and Lord Shri Krishna of Sixteen. are there Gods Small and Big? What is this Kola all About?
164. Why Idol Worship?
165. Hindus Blow Conch in Aarti-puja, Religious Discourses and Anushtons. What Science is Involved in Blowing the Conch?
166. Why is the Water from Conch Sprinkled Over People?
167. Is The Hindu Shak-samval Scientific?
168. Is Re-birth Scientific?
169. Do we have to Bear/Suffer the Fruits/Consequences of Actions Compulsoriry?
170. If a Man is Born to Suffer the Consequences of Actions of Earlier Lives, then what is the Advantage of Yajna, Stuti, Prayer and Worship of God?
171. We are Worldly Persons. What Use do we have for a God who, in the Presence of All our Good Actions cannot do Any Good Even if he Wants : or who, in the Event of Evil Deeds Performed by us, cannot Forgive us?
172. Can Future be Changed?
173. Do Prayers Offer Relief?
174. How Science is Involved in Seeing the Moon on Chaturthi, the Fourth Day of Shukla Paksha?
175. What is the Scientific Aspect of Fasting?
176. What is Shraddha? what is the Benefit of doing it? what is its Scientific Aspect?
177. How does a Dead Man get the Food Offered as Shraddha? Suppose a Dead Man is Re-born as a Tiger. we Feed Kheer to a Brahmin in the Dead Man's Name. Will the Tiger Get it? If a Dead Man is Re-born as an Ant. we Feed Two kg of Kheer to a Brahmin. the Ant will Immediately be Buried Under two kg of Kheer. Suppose the Dead Man Turns into an Elephant. If the Brahmin Eats Half a Kilogram of Jalebi (Sweets), how will that Satiate the Elephant. Kindly Elucidate its Logical Aspect.
178. Why Should the Son Only Perform the Shraddha Related Activities After Death?
179. Can the Dead Forefathers be Seen?
180. Why Shraddha in the Month of Ashwin Only?
181. Why should we Not Eat Meat?
182. What is the Scientific Secret of Panchamakar as Enunciated by Tontra-shostro?
183. What is the Scientific Truth Behind Swastika Mark?
184. What is the Scientific Mystery Behind the Seven Horses in the Chariot of the Sun?
185. What is the Secret Behind Mouse as a Carrier of Ganesh?
186. The Scientific Mystery Behind Offering Durua-jomim to Ganapati?
187. Why is Ganapati Worshipped First of All Gods?
188. Why is Death not Desirable when the Sun is Dakshinayan? What Science is Behind this?
189. Where does Lakshmi Live and where Not? What Psychology is Involved in it?
190. Why should Tulsi Not be Chewed with Teeth?
191. Why should we Sleep with our Head in the East and the South?
192. Why is Gold Considered the Best Metal in Dharma Shastras? What is the Relative Position of Other Metals in Poqja-path?
193. Why Should Ratna (Stone) Studded Ornaments be Worn?
194. Can a Son be Born by Using Paras Peepaf?
195. Is it Possible to Compare Astrology with Geology and Geography?
196. Is it Possible to Compare Physics with Astrology?
197. Was Newton the Discoverer of the Law of Gravitation?
198. Why are Planets Round?
199. Is a Comparison Between Astronomy and Astrology Possible?
200. Is it Possible to Compare Medical Science with Astrology?
201. Is it Possible to Compare Meteorology and Astrology?
202. What is the Difference Between the Astronomer and the Astrologer?
203. How Ancient is Indian Civilisation and Culture?
204. How Ancient are the Vedas?
205. How can that Happen? After all, there was a Man who Wrote the Vedas. The Invention of Paper is Not More than 400 Years Old. Therefore, the Vedas Cannot be More than 400-500 Years Old
206. The Tradition of Writing Literature on Bhoj-patras and Tad-patras is of 1000-1500 B.C. Old. therefore, the Vedas would Also be Fifteen Hundred B.C. Old Creation. Many Ancient Muslim, Christian, and English Historians and Many Scientists Also Acknowledge this Fact
207. Famous German Scholar, Max Mueller has Accepted 6000 B.C. Years Old Period as the Time of the Origin of the Vedas. Keith, Baber and Many other Scholars have Proved the Vedas to be 6 or 8 Thousand B.C. Years Old, Using Historical and Geographical Evidences Along with their other Scientific Factors, and Rejecting the Fact of their Being Apaurushey. Is the Fact-based Logic of the Foreign Scholars Wrong? If so what are the Bases of Your Calling it Wrong?
208. What is Kalp?
209. What is the Principle of the Beginning of Kaltyug?
210. Since when Deepawali is Being Celebrated?
211. Does the Modern Science Accept so Much Ancientness of Lord Shri Ram?
212. What was the Standard of Calculating Time in Astrology During Vedang Period?
213. Who is Elder According to Hindu Shastras? who should be Worshipped First? who should be Saluted First?