|Publisher:||Manohar Publishers & Distributors
|Pages:||pp. 623, Frontispiece, Tables, Maps, Glossary, Notes, Biblio., Abbreviations
The Title "Five Punjabi Centuries Polity, Economy, Society and Culture, c. 1500-1990 [Essays for J.S. Grewal] Reprint" is written by Indu Banga. This book was published in the year 2000. The ISBN number 817304175X|9788173041754 is assigned to the Hardback version of this title. The book displayed here is a Reprint edition. This book has total of pp. 623 (Pages). The publisher of this title is Manohar Publishers & Distributors. We have about 1364 other great books from this publisher. Five Punjabi Centuries Polity, Economy, Society and Culture, c. 1500-1990 [Essays for J.S. Grewal] Reprint is currently Available with us.
The contributors to this volume belong to the disciplines of history, art history, geography, political science, Economics and literature-many of them eminent in their field of interest. Their contributions make this volume multi-disciplinary, with an exceptionally wide scope, making it indispensable for all students and scholars of social sciences and humanities.
Three papers cover polity, economy and society in the Mughal Punjab; six relate to state-formation, economy, society and literature of the period of Sikh rule; one deals with Religion and art in the hills. A masterly essay delineates the major developments in the recent study of Pahari painting.
The period of colonial rule is covered by fifteen contributors who discuss political, economic and socio-cultural developments dwelling on urban society and politics; communitarian, secular and national consciousness; agrarian and urban economy; demographic and social change; Punjabi literature; and gender relations.
There are three papers on the Punjab after independence related to political economy; the bearing of agricultural growth on urbanization; and the movement for the Punjabi-speaking state.
The essay on Professor J.S. Grewal's work becomes virtually a study of new directions in the historiography of the Punjab in its political, social, economic and cultural dimensions.
1. J.S. Grewal : the Historian/Indu Banga
I. POLITY :
2. Polity, Economy and Society under the Mughals/Chetan Singh
3. Politics under the Later Mughals/Muzaffar Alam
4. Formation of the Sikh State, 1765-1845/Indu Banga
5. Muslim Anjumans and Communitarian Consciousness/Ikram Ali Malik
6. The Punjab Hindu Sabha and Communal Politics, 1906-1923/K.L. Tuteja
7. Sikh Politics and Religion : the Bhasaur Singh Sabha/N. Gerald Barrier
8. The Ghadar Movement : A New Consciousness/Harish K. Puri
9. Urban society and Urban Politics : Lahore in 1919/Ravinder Kumar
10. Akalis and the Nationalist Politics/Mohinder Singh
11. Movement for the Punjabi-speaking State/A.S. Narang
12. Water Resources and Agricultural Landscape : Pre-colonial Punjab/Tripta Wahi
13. Agrarian Production and Distribution in the Late Eighteenth Century/Veena Sachdeva
14. Agrarian Society in Transition : Mid-Nineteenth Century/Radha Sharma
15. Land Revenue and Peasant Protection in Early British Punjab/Andrew J. Major
16. Changes in Agrarian Society in the Late Nineteenth Century/Himadri Banerjee
17. Canal Colonization and Socio-economic Change/Imran Ali
18. Agricultural Development and Urbanization, 1921-1981/Gurdev Singh Gosal
19. Political Economy Since Independence/G.S. Bhalla
20. Society in Punjabi Literature, 1750-1850/Daljinder Singh Johal
21. Pre-colonial Agrarian Society : the Upper Bari Doab/Bachan Singh Hira
22. Urban Revolution under Colonial Rule/Reeta Grewal
23. Emergence of the Middle Classes and Forms of Political Articulation/Sukhdev Singh Sohal
24. The Sikh Community : Demography and Occupational Change, 1881-1931/Joginder Singh
25. Changing World of the Artisans, 1849-1947/Harish C. Sharma
26. Changing Gender Relationships Among Hindus in Early British Punjab/Kenneth W. Jones
27. Historical Dynamics of the Qissa/J.S. Rahi
28. Political Change and Punjabi Literature in the Nineteenth Century/Attar Singh
29. Religion and Art in the Punjab Hills : A Study in Relationship, c.1600-1850/Karuna Goswamy
30. On the Study of Pahari Painting/B.N. Goswamy