|Pages:||234 Pages, References
8171092667|9788171092666, Mission and Conversion a Reappraisal published in the year 1996 was published by St. Pauls. View 2066 more books by St. Pauls. The author of this book is Joseph Mattam, Sebastian Kim. We have a dedicated page displaying collection of Sebastian Kim books here. This is the Paperback version of the title "Mission and Conversion a Reappraisal " and have around pp. 234 pages. Mission and Conversion a Reappraisal is currently Available with us.
Due to historical and socio-political factors, the call to conversion and baptism has become problematic in the Indian context. This book is a reappraisal of the place and meaning of conversion and baptism in mission. Such a reappraisal has become necessary because of the rising opposition to conversions in India; its immediate catalyst, however, is the book by Arun Shourie : Missionaries in India : Changes, Continuities, Dilemmas. Taking Arun Shourie's challenge positively, the Fellowship of Indian Missiologists (FOIM) decided to re-examine the issue of conversion and baptism. At its Fourth Annual Meeting on 24-27 August, 1995 at Ishvani Kendra, Pune, the subject of conversion and baptism was taken up from the biblical, theological, historical, religious and cultural perspectives. The resulting papers, responses and group discussions during the meeting are put together to make this volume.
It is hoped that this book will provide valuable resource material and stimulation for all students and teachers of missiology, for it represents our humble reflection on the past and a serious examination of the problem of conversion and baptism with a sincere desire to participate in God's mission in India.
1. Conversion in the Bible : A Dialogical Process/Lucien Legrand
2. The Kingdom, Mission and Conversion/Michael Amaladoss S.J. :
i. Response/Joseph Patmury
3. Baptism in the New Testament/Jacob Kavunkal, SVD. :
i. Response/Sebastian Kirn
4. Patterns of Conversion in Indian Mission History/Jlian Saldanha, S.J. :
i. Response/Jesuino Almeida, S.F.X.
5. Indian Attempts towards a Solution to the Problems of Conversion/Joseph Mattam, S.J.
6. Conversion in Indian Religions/Joseph Valiamangalam, S.J.
7. Cultural Alienation of Converts and Radical Inculturation of Faith/Anto Karokaran, CMI :
i. Response/P. Surya Prakash
8. Missionaries in India : an Appraisal of Arun Shourie's Book/J. Rosario Narchison :
i. Response/J. Prasad Pinto, OFM Cap.
9. Group Discussions
10. Contributors and Participants