Mission and Conversion a Reappraisal
by Joseph Mattam, Sebastian Kim
Ships From New York
Free Shipping within U.S.A
Check Delivery Estimate and
for your country
|Pages:||234 Pages, References
The Title "Mission and Conversion a Reappraisal " is written by Joseph Mattam. This book was published in the year 1996. The ISBN number 8171092667|9788171092666 is assigned to the Paperback version of this title. This book has total of pp. 234 (Pages). The publisher of this title is St. Pauls. We have about 2066 other great books from this publisher. Mission and Conversion a Reappraisal is currently Available with us.
Due to historical and socio-political factors, the call to conversion and baptism has become problematic in the Indian context. This book is a reappraisal of the place and meaning of conversion and baptism in mission. Such a reappraisal has become necessary because of the rising opposition to conversions in India; its immediate catalyst, however, is the book by Arun Shourie : Missionaries in India : Changes, Continuities, Dilemmas. Taking Arun Shourie's challenge positively, the Fellowship of Indian Missiologists (FOIM) decided to re-examine the issue of conversion and baptism. At its Fourth Annual Meeting on 24-27 August, 1995 at Ishvani Kendra, Pune, the subject of conversion and baptism was taken up from the biblical, theological, historical, religious and cultural perspectives. The resulting papers, responses and group discussions during the meeting are put together to make this volume.
It is hoped that this book will provide valuable resource material and stimulation for all students and teachers of missiology, for it represents our humble reflection on the past and a serious examination of the problem of conversion and baptism with a sincere desire to participate in God's mission in India.
1. Conversion in the Bible : A Dialogical Process/Lucien Legrand
2. The Kingdom, Mission and Conversion/Michael Amaladoss S.J. :
i. Response/Joseph Patmury
3. Baptism in the New Testament/Jacob Kavunkal, SVD. :
i. Response/Sebastian Kirn
4. Patterns of Conversion in Indian Mission History/Jlian Saldanha, S.J. :
i. Response/Jesuino Almeida, S.F.X.
5. Indian Attempts towards a Solution to the Problems of Conversion/Joseph Mattam, S.J.
6. Conversion in Indian Religions/Joseph Valiamangalam, S.J.
7. Cultural Alienation of Converts and Radical Inculturation of Faith/Anto Karokaran, CMI :
i. Response/P. Surya Prakash
8. Missionaries in India : an Appraisal of Arun Shourie's Book/J. Rosario Narchison :
i. Response/J. Prasad Pinto, OFM Cap.
9. Group Discussions
10. Contributors and Participants